Excess skin on the thighs can be a common problem for those who have experienced dramatic weight loss. The condition can lead to chafing and discomfort, which can in turn severely limit what wardrobe choices you can make, and what physical activities you can comfortably participate in. Ready to put the discomfort and embarrassment to an end? A thigh lift in Long Island may be a good option to bring relief and to help you achieve a more aesthetically pleasing body shape.
This procedure reshapes the thighs by eliminating excess skin left behind after weight loss, as well as the underlying fat that weight loss and exercise did not eliminate. Like most skin removal surgery, results can be almost immediate and will continue to improve over time. Our thigh lift in NYC is often combined with other procedures such as liposuction, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), upper body lift, and arm lift – particularly in cases where there has been a large amount of weight loss. Procedure combination can help minimize both surgery and recovery time.
Age can also be a big factor. Over time, the upper legs can become increasingly susceptible to retained fat as well as cellulite. Leg shape and tone are often associated with a degree of fitness, but weight loss often results in excess skin, making people appear heavier, older and less fit. Some people find it impossible to tone their upper legs with traditional methods such as exercise. In many cases, a thigh lift can be the best step towards achieving firmer and more attractive legs.
Types of Thigh Lift
Our Long Island thigh lift surgeons employ advanced techniques for maximum aesthetics. They know how to tailor their approach to your specific needs. Depending on your condition and goals, some of these options are available to you:
- Transverse skin excision. If you have only minimal loss of skin elasticity, you may be a candidate for this procedure. An incision is made in the upper thigh, leaving an easily hidden scar in the crease of the groin.
- Vertical skin excision. Excessive skin laxity from bariatric weight loss will require a longer incision from the medial thigh to your knee for a shapelier leg.
- There are two general types of thigh lift: an inner thigh lift, also known as the medial thigh lift and the outer thigh lift. The outer thigh lift is generally performed with a body lift procedure or a tummy tuck and when done this way is called an extended body lift or extended tummy tuck. The inner thigh lift is normally performed as a single procedure.
Factors That Can Affect Your Thigh Lift Options
- Amount of excess skin
- Distribution of loose skin on leg
- Size of thighs and amount of fatty tissue (may require liposuction in conjunction)
- Gender (cosmetic issues may vary by gender)
- Highest BMI before weight loss
- Skin condition
- Level of health, nutrition, deficiencies, etc.
- Stability of weight and how long you’ve maintained it
- Need and desire for combined procedures
If you have excess skin due to dramatic weight loss, your doctor can advise you on the possibility of combining procedures to help maximize your aesthetic results while minimizing the need for multiple surgeries and reducing recovery time. Depending on your unique condition and needs, an abdominoplasty, brachioplasty (under arm lift), and breast lift can all be done at the same time as your thigh lift in NYC. One factor your physician will consider is how long the combined procedure and anesthesia time will take and keep you safely within comfortable limits. Combined procedures are known to deliver spectacular improvements to body shape in a single operation.
Schedule a Surgeon Consultation today
Serving New York City, New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester and surrounding communities, the team at NYGB Plastic Surgery provides compassionate and highly skilled care. If you are looking to recover as much of your youthful trim shape as possible, we can help. We will listen to your aesthetic goals and develop a plan of action towards achieving them. The first step is scheduling a consultation – give us a call today.