Bariatric procedures and long-term dieting can provide life-changing improvements to health and well-being, but they can also leave behind sagging skin – an issue that carries with it both physical and emotional implications. A common “next step” for those who have lost a great deal of weight is our NYC skin removal surgery. Our patients at NYBG Plastic Surgery are counseled that a weight loss from a BMI of 30 or more may require further steps before a rejuvenated body is fully achieved. Obesity is not only a strain on health and proper organ function, it can also result in damage to the skin, often lessening the skin’s ability to snap back into shape once the fat is gone. As a result, a post-bariatric patient may suffer from sagging skin that does not reflect the trim and healthy person they feel they are inside. Clothes may not fit properly because of excess skin. Chafing can become a chronic issue.
NYBG Plastic Surgery, serving NYC, New Jersey, Long Island and Westchester, NY, provides many options and opportunities to achieve your ultimate goal: a shapely, trim body to match your new health and physical abilities. Because everyone has their own set of physical circumstances, our skilled and professional guidance will take you through advanced procedures that are right for you and the priorities that work best both for your results and your recovery.
What Are Your Options?
Your Long Island skin removal treatment options may include one or a combination of these procedures:
- Facelift: A facelift is a surgical option for individuals who are unhappy with the wrinkles and sagging, droopy skin present on different areas of the face, and is performed by creating a small incision that is used to tighten the skin. The scar from the incision can typically be hidden effectively in the natural folds of the skin. Other non-surgical options are also available, such as dermal fillers and injectable treatments, but these may not be as effective or long-lasting as a surgical facelift..
- Neck Lift: For patients who have been considering a facelift to address drooping jowls or a double chin but are not seeing the same signs of aging in the upper face, a neck lift can be a helpful solution. While a facelift is intended to treat sagging skin and deep creases across the entire face, a neck lift specifically targets the lower face and neck. If you are embarrassed by droopy jowls, sagging neck skin, or vertical banding along your neck, talk to an experienced plastic surgeon about whether a neck lift might be the best option for you.
- Tummy Tuck: An abdominoplasty removes the loose skin that stretched when the abdomen grew and also any underlying fat that may not have gone after weight loss. The surgeon will also tighten the abdominal wall that has relaxed after pregnancy or from too large a stomach. When the stomach muscle is pulled tight, and bulge flattens the shape of the waist becomes more natural. For many patients who are candidates for abdominoplasty, as much as 50% of the abdominal skin can be removed. In doing so, existing stretch marks disappear. In women, a tummy tuck is often combined with a breast lift as part of a “Mommy Makeover.”
- Body Lift: A body lift, also known as the Belt Lipectomy, is a procedure that makes possible a major transformation of the mid and lower body. While it removes excess skin and sagging fat around the abdomen area including hips, groin, outer thighs and buttocks, a body lift is not a resistive fat removal process. If fat removal is needed, a body lift in combination with liposuction can produce optimum results.
- Body Contouring: This is an umbrella term for multiple procedures that can bring about a stunning and immediate change in appearance – a change that can continue to improve over time. Body contouring is a relatively new plastic surgery procedure developed to address the physical concerns of many people who have lost a great deal of weight through weight loss regimens, bariatric surgery, or non-surgical bariatric offerings, and now need to reshape their bodies. Dramatic weight loss can lead to excess, saggy skin remaining after a person has reached their goal weight. Even though you can feel healthier and more active than you have in years, you may feel that it doesn’t show. Body contouring is the perfect final step to achieve the kind of body you envisioned when you first began your weight loss journey.
- Arm Lift: Often done in conjunction with another procedure, brachioplasty is a surgical operation that removes excess sagging skin that droops downward from the upper arm and tightens underlying support tissue. It is often done in combination with a breast lift and tummy tuck.
- Thigh Lift: This procedure reshapes the thighs by eliminating excess skin left behind after weight loss and, in some cases, the underlying fat that weight loss and exercise did not eliminate. Like most skin removal surgery, results are almost immediate and continue to improve over time.
Contact Us for a Consultation
NYBG Plastic Surgery is conveniently located to NYC, New Jersey, Long Island and Westchester, NY. Our staff of experienced surgeons and their knowledgeable support team will guide you with care and skill and will help you develop a customized plan of action that best addresses your needs, concerns, and aspirations. Your health, well-being, and improved confidence and self-image are important. Take the first step towards a new you. Contact us today to schedule a consultation for skin removal surgery in NYC.